Growing up, my mom went into a baking and treat-making frenzy in the week or so before Christmas.
She made stuff for all the parties, but this was different. There was a standard list of “must make” treats that she made regardless if we had a party to take them to or not. It was customary for them to just be in the house for holiday grazing.
At the top of that list? Caramel corn.
We had a traditional air-pop popcorn popper just for making caramel corn at Christmas. And when Cort and I got married, I registered for a real pop corn popper too–even though everyone thought I was nuts.
Yeah, it’s not a healthy recipe. not even a little. That’s two stick of butter you’re looking at up there. And tons of brown sugar and even some straight up corn syrup. Health nuts should just click away now.
My grandpa requests this of my mom every Christmas. You know it’s a good recipe when a grandpa requests it.
And every year I make it? I astound someone with the fact that it’s homemade. It tastes that yummy.
But really? It’s super easy.
Look away from my filthy oven. Look ONLY at the delicious caramel corn baking.
Want to make it too? Yeah you do.
- 2 cups of popcorn (I usually only make 1-1.5 cups. 2 cups is a TON)
- 2 cups of brown sugar
- 1 cup of butter
- 1/2 cup of light corn syrup
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Pop the popcorn and set it aside in a really big container.
- On the stove, bring the brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, and salt to a rolling boil. Once boiling, let boil for 5 minutes while continuously stirring.
- Remove from heat and add the vanilla and baking soda.
- Mix the hot mixture with the popcorn.
- Spread the covered popcorn on two VERY greased pans (I have old jelly pans I use just for this purpose)
- Back at 250 degrees for an hour, stirring and rotating the pans every 15 minutes.
- Let cool on wax paper.
You want to take a handful, right?
(Sorry for the blurry pictures. Hard to get a good, natural light photo with my big camera when it’s dark by the time I get home. so these are phone pics. Boo.)