March is when Alice is coming (the 6th). March is Charlie’s third birthday (the 13th). March is my thirty-seventh birthday (the 27th). March is also READING MONTH.
March also means my last day of teaching until fall. While it is exciting to think of being done for six months, it also stressful for me getting ready to leave my students–and my classroom library–with someone else for 12 weeks. Will the sub love and care for my books the way I do? Will my students continue to be responsible about checking out and returning books without stealing or losing them?
What I know for sure is that I have students who are definitely reading those books. I would say that over 75% of my classes are doing more than required one independent book per marking period, and of the remaining 25% of students, less than 10% are just not reading or doing their required work.
With only 4 days left of work for this year, I would say my biggest success has been Reading Workshop. I have many things I would like to add or adjust for next year, but as my first year trying Reader’s Workshop AND being in a new grade-level and building, I would say it’s been more successful than I could have hoped.
That said, I always, always need more books. So rather than having a baby shower, I was told I should throw a book shower!
If you want to participate in my March Book Shower to celebrate the birth of Alice, mine and Charlie’s birthdays, Reading Month and the success of my first year of Reader’s Workshop just click the imagine below and it will take you to my classroom wishlist.
This wishlist has been compiled by my students as they read and request books. There are over 300 titles, so if you click through, you can find something you would love to add to our library.
It would only take a gift of ONE book per blog reader and my students would be able to have the books that will keep them reading!
I would love it if you would share this post with others too! You can either click on the share buttons below, or you can use this when you share via twitter or Facebook:
Join me in throwing @ksluiter a Book Shower in honor of March being Reading month, her new baby girl, and her students’ love of reading! http://wp.me/p1qChn-2yS
It’s about to get crazy in Sluiter Nation…help us celebrate!