It finally got cold here in Michigan. Like legit cold…which means below freezing.
This calls for a casserole in the oven!
What I like best about this is NO CREAM OF SOUP is involved, yet it’s still thick and delicious and will make you want a nap. Plus? YUMMY LEFTOVERS!
What’s not to love?
(Easy Recipe is not working, so I don’t have the fun print version for you…I hope they get that fixed by next week)
- 1 pkg (6 oz) Stuffing Mix
- 1 Tbsp butter
- about 1.5 pounds of chicken breasts (although I just use three large ones split)
- black pepper
- Half pound of green beans trimmed and cut into 1-inch lengths (when beans aren’t in season I use frozen ones, thawed)
- 8oz fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth (or stock)
- 4 oz of cream cheese, cubbed
- Prepare the stuffing as directed on package and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet on medium heat then add chicken sprinkled with pepper.
- Cook for 5 minutes per side or until done.
- Transfer to a 9×13, greased baking dish.
- Cook and stir beans, mushrooms, and onion in the same skillet you used for the chicken for 6-8 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Sprinkle with flour; cook and stir about a minute.
- Stir in broth; simmer for 3 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently.
- Add cream cheese and cook/stir until melted 2-3 minutes.
- Spoon mixture over chicken.
- Top with stuffing.
- Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
- Heat oven to 400* F. Bake casserole uncovered for 30 minutes or until heated through.