Sluiter Nation Home Tour: The Hub of the House

I know it’s been a few weeks, but the tour of Sluiter Nation is BACK!  Today with the room that is really the center of the whole house.  Not just physically, but socially and emotionally too.  We are drawn to it because it exudes warmth, nourishment, and conversation.

It’s our kitchen.

Our kitchen is the first thing you see when you climb the stairs from our bi-level’s front door.  It’s much smaller than I would like, but it’s cozy and it has everything we need.

It’s a gallery of people we love.

It’s a yellow pages for take out and an energy center–especially first thing in the morning.

it is rarely completely clean.  And it constantly reminds me why I will NEVER own white appliances again!

It is where I can relieve stress or anxiety or anger or sorrow by baking someone something.

Have a bad day?  I’ll make you cookies.

Grandma die?  I’ll bake your family a pie to comfort you.

Cort lost his job?  I baked him brownies.

Have a birthday?  I’ll make you a three-layer cake.

Need a dessert for a cookout?  I’ll bring a fresh blueberry SOMETHING.

This is where people gather to laugh and drink and chat and discuss and eat.

It looks out over the yard Cort so lovingly takes care of and the clubhouse Eddie so joyously frolics on.

Somehow the island is NEVER completely cleared off.  Keys, wallet, pipey, monitor, newspaper, whatever gets thrown here.

But it is where we gather as a family.  It is where we nourish ourselves physically and emotionally.  We grow together here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
About Katie

Just a small town girl...wait no. That is a Journey song. Katie Sluiter is a small town girl, but she is far from living in a lonely world. She is a middle school English teacher, writer, mother, and wife. Life has thrown her a fair share of challenges, but her belief is that writing through them makes her stronger.

Comments

1. I miss having a fridge gallery! We have stainless steel now – no magnets! I used to fill mine with pics!

Our kitchen too is the hub – I think that's how it should be, eat, love and laugh!!

2. Yay another stove that isn't spotless. Mine is horrid. Thanks for sharing πŸ™‚

3. Looking at your fridge pics, I see one of Joe (I think it's Joe). I did some editing of that photo for Trisha!

4. mommytojenna says:

I was once asked in a class to draw the center of my family and I drew the kitchen table. Seriously it all happens in the kitchen! Can you bake me some back to school brownies???

5. Sarah @ Ordinary Days says:

Nothing says welcoming and friendly like a messy counter! People with spotless kitchens freak me out.

6. So very true my dear… it is the hub where everything is always going on…

Oh, and someday I'll find a new home for my wallet and keys. πŸ™‚ Love!

7. torie@Life With Rylie says:

We are starting to get the fridge gallery. It's building up. Lovely kitchen. White appliances are not cool. Thanks for letting us in πŸ™‚

8. Ack, same monitor! But I have a confession, I hate ours. Very poor reception.

9. makemommygosomethingsomething says:

I love this…makes me feel all warm and fuzzy and ridiculously hungry for anything baked!
    We have black appliances and let me tell you, the crap shows up just as much…but proves that we like eating home cooked meals!

10. Pumpkin and Piglet says:

Your kitchen looks lovely, very homely, which is what you want in a kitchen! Our kitchen is tiny but I dream of having one big enough so that people can sit in there when I'm baking and we can chat πŸ˜€

11. It is our hub too. And our fridge looks similar. Great post.

12. Lula Lola says:

Looks like a great space! I love your fridge gallery! We have a wooden one now, and I can't hang my pix, I miss that!

13. Love the fridge and the growth chart…I wanted to start a growth chart in the pantry…maybe I will now πŸ™‚

14. Mungee's Ma says:

We have a fridge gallery too. I always think it looks cluttered, but you know what? It's full of love.

15. Maureen @Tatter Scoops says:

Looks like a cozy and homey kitchen tho! Love all those precious pictures πŸ˜€

16. missy widener says:

Your fridge looks like mine. Love a collage of a bunch of cutie pies. And so jealous of your island.

17. LOL! You say you'll never own white appliances again. I'll never own black! I cannot keep the top of my stove clean and I HATE it. And then it streaks.

Love the "hub" of your house!