About Katie

Just a small town girl...wait no. That is a Journey song. Katie Sluiter is a small town girl, but she is far from living in a lonely world. She is a middle school English teacher, writer, mother, and wife. Life has thrown her a fair share of challenges, but her belief is that writing through them makes her stronger.

Comments

1. This post is like something I could've written, so rest assured you're not the only one like this!

2. Thecoffeeqween says

Nice flip-offs. I gained all the baby weight back when I went back to work after Caleb was born. The self loathing for not having the discipline to stop eating or stay on a fitness plan is wearing my patience.

3. Seriously…I could have written this post. Except for the antidepressant…but I have polycystic ovarian syndrome and that seriously hinders my ability to lose weight.

It takes WEEKS of diet and exercise before I see a pound drop off, and usually, by then, I have given up.

4. designHER Momma says

I haven't run in 2 weeks either. I don't have a treadmill, so my only hope is to run outside. I justify not running due to the heat, which may or may not be a valid excuse.

I'm banking on Fall coming soon, not so I can go running, but so I can hid myself in jeans and sweaters.

5. makemommygosomethingsomething says

Stupid treadmills. I have an eliptical and while it was fun at the time, the scenary does get very uninspiring.
    What about running outside with Eddie in the stroller?
    PS. We are all allowed to slack off
    PPS. Stupid antidepressants

6. Pumpkin and Piglet says

I never got on with the treadmill for much the same reason, it was boring. It doesn't help that your meds make it hard to lose weight either. Boredom, frustration and depression are not an easy combination. I'm glad you're still doing the 5k though 🙂

7. Oh, ((hugs)) Miss Katie!! Sorry you are feeling discouraged. There are other meds out there besides Celcxa. Have you talked to your dr about trying a different one?

Hang in there, ny friend!

8. pinkflipflops says

hahha i think we must be long lost sisters or something! hang in there.

9. WTH am I Doing? says

Oh, I am so totally on this page. I've been trying off & on for 4 years to drop my 50 baby pounds. For now, my resolve holds strong – but I've tried & quit several times before now. I'm focusing my frustration on *not* letting all this interfering crap beat me. I've taken it as a challenge…that I'm going to beat senseless, er, I mean, *overcome*! ;o)

Also? I have to mix it up or I get really bored. I have a nice collection of bellydance DVDs, Brazillian samba DVDs, all kinds of fun stuff. I have a short attention span. ;o)

I wish you the best of luck! I completely understand your frustration.

10. "run-on sentances of panic"…………hillarious!

I started c25k around the time you did. You inspired me. I have battled depression for about a year now and thought if you could do it then I could too. C25k is about the only thing I have not quit or gave up on this year. Hang in there. Tomorrow is a new day.

11. I bet you are like me, and will hate running even if you are not on the treadmill. 🙂 And you are beautiful. Whether you think so or not. And I KNOW my brother knows how beautiful you are. And I'm pretty sure his opinion matters more than yours 🙂 (On THIS matter only, of course).

AND. I love the button. Thanks, sister 🙂

12. I agree with the others–you are NOT alone! I too feel like I always give up, start stuff I don't finish, disappoint people, etc. An endless cycle of shame and guilt.

Just remember, every moment is an opportunity to choose anew.

Why are we so hard on ourselves?

13. Hang in there with the treadmill. I know it can be quite a bore or challenge to keep going. I need to get on my treadmill. Good for you for keeping it up. Have a great weekend!

Mama Hen

14. MamaOnDaGo says

I too hate the treadmill. Always running but not really getting anywhere. Metaphor here.

I have a very strong feeling you're going to do this 5K. I know you will!

15. Maureen @Tatter Scoops says

I'm flippin' my lack of exercising will too. Hope you'll have a better week, girl!